Thursday, May 6, 2010

Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying


Some events have deeply resonated within me this past week. Someone mentioned that it's better for your feelings, thoughts, and ideas to come out messy, then to not come out at all. And then I stumbled on this quote from Shawshank Redemption on a buddy’s facebook page:

Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying.

So why do these words resonate so deeply with me? A recent experience caused me to awaken for the first time and reevaluate everything in my life. My family, friends, things that happen in my daily living. I see everything in a new light – through a life really is good filter. More pieces of the puzzle are coming together. I do worry that this feeling will fade. I do have discouraging days where the feeling is gone. Like some temporary high. That’s why I want to get these thoughts out. It's going to help me on this journey.

So I’m on a new path now and I believe in my soul that God will lead me to discover my purpose in life. Does this mean I am going to rush out change everything in my life? No. Or run for 24 hours a day around the globe for three continuous years like Forest Gump...well maybe...

The point is, I now enjoy this average life of mine so much more than I ever thought possible. The peace I was looking for was right there hiding inside of me the whole time. Waiting for me to unlock it. Because a happy life is about enjoying the journey - not worrying about where it will take you. I choose to shed my old skin and get busy living.

Photo by Demarcus Romero.


2 comments:

  1. The fact that you write this is clear evidence that your life is anything but average. Congratulations on "waking up" to actual living. It's like in the Matrix when you took the right pill and found out what real life is, but this time it's not a nightmare, it's like now you can really see colors, really smell scents, find joy in the smallest moments. Welcome to living!
    --Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Drew...you have discovered "THE SECRET". You have finally pierced the veil of what works for all those who see the light through the application of Occams Razor...that that the simplest solution is usually the correct one, that one need only walk forward to truly "get ahead". Very good, my friend.

    ReplyDelete